Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Voyage Home


We decided I would try traveling "Space A" - Seats available on Military cargo flights. The flight is free, if a bit less convenient than a commercial ticket. After securing the paperwork necessary to travel, I signed up with the Kadena Passenger Terminal and waited for a flight heading in the right direction. When a flight comes up, I go in to have my paperwork verified and to be marked "Present," that is, wanting to get a seat on the flight. Then a roll call takes place and seats are filled in order of priority - I traveled in Category 4 on this trip. The flight I competed for had "Virtual Roll Call," where after I was marked present I could go home and after roll call was completed they would send an email to say if I was chosen for this flight or not. The flight I was selected for had "show time" of 6:30 pm on March 1st, which mean I had  to be at the terminal and check bags at that time. And so, the voyage began...

7:30 PM March 1st, Kadena, Okinawa (local time)

Kadena Air Mobility Command Passenger Terminal

B17 - VERY Large cargo plane


The plane took off at about 7:30 PM local time for a three hour flight. I traveled on a B17, a very large cargo plane, with about 20 other passengers. The journey was to have two stops, Guam and Hawaii, before the final destination of Travis Air Force Base in California. The seats lined the sides of the cabin with cargo in the back and middle. The chairs had the comfort of a cheap lawn chair, but were spaced farther apart than commercial planes and also had endless leg room. There was no chance of jostling one's neighbor while re-situating. The crew were friendly and helpful. They provided ear plugs, as the plane was a bit noisy. I opted to buy the meal for a nominal fee and was pleasantly surprised by how much was in the sack-lunch! A lunch meat sandwich, granola bar, a Snickers, potato chips, bottled water and a Mt. Dew. Far tastier and more filling than commercial airplane food!

Best airplane food EVER (this is the meal from the second leg)

Crew member relaxes in flight


12:45 AM March 2nd, Anderson AB, Guam (local time)

We landed in a rainy Guam, found our luggage, made our way through customs and into the terminal at about 12:45 AM March 2nd local time - Guam is 1 hour ahead of Okinawa. In the terminal we learned the next leg of the flight would begin in 20 hours. I located an infosheet with numbers for hotels and taxis, but none in our party could get ahold of any. Most of us stayed in the family lounge of the AMC terminal, despite posted rules against sleeping across furniture or on the floor. I just don't see how we had any other option, being unable to find transportation or lodging elsewhere. After a few hours sleep on the floor, I made myself presentable as best I could and found a chapel to attend Sunday worship services. Another posted rule is to not leave luggage unattended, so I wheeled my big red duffel-bag with me to church and to the commissary later for a bite. The church service I went to was the "Gospel" service. It began at 11:30, and didn't get to the sermon until 12:30, and church let out at 1:00. Upon returning to the Terminal, I left my suitcase in the care of fellow Space-Aers and walked to the PX in search for an addition to Liv's snow globe collection. I found some cute Tiki statues instead. The base at Guam is sprawling, with lots of wide open space and not a taxi in sight the whole time I was there - much different from what I'm used to on Okinawa.

8:00 PM March 2nd, Guam (local time)

The journey continued at about 8:00 PM local time when we re-boarded the plane (same plane, same crew, some of the same cargo, even). The flight to Hawaii was to be about 7 hours long. Having watched the crew member nap in a hammock on the last flight, one passenger asked if we could lay on the floor and behold, we could! There were wool blankets and little travel pillows provided for such an occasion. After my deliciously filling meal, with a few of the snack items stowed for future use, I made a bed with one pre-used blanket as a mattress on the cold metal floor and a fresh blanket on top. I slept very comfortably, warm and all stretched out. I seriously consider taking Olivia via Space A next time we go to Japan. Besides the lack of hotel accommodations last night, thus far I enjoy this method of travel. I think she would enjoy the scenic layovers and spacious sleeping quarters on the plane. Also, we are allowed two checked bags (on this size of plane). To top it off, on this trip alone I have been to two places Jim hasn't been.

This is how to pass an overnight flight


7:30 AM March 2nd, Hickam AB, Hawaii (local time)

First view of Hawaii
Grand tree near the gym on Hawaii - Relative of the Banyan?
In true Groundhog Day fashion, I lived March 2nd all over again - Hawaii is about 20 hours behind Guam. We landed in a rainy Hawaii at 7:30 AM local time, did the Customs thing again (they are very particular about bringing in anything resembling agriculture), collected our bags and on to figure out the next step. On the recommendation of another experienced Space-Aer, I decided to head to the Gym for a shower and to stow my duffel in a locker for the day and then go exploring. I ventured to the PX for souvenirs. Transportation was a bit easier to come by, with a bus making rounds on the base and to tourist spots, as well as one cab company authorized to come on base. My only venture out of the base was to the Pearl Harbor memorials and museum. A very touching and somber experience.


Each marker tells of a ship sunk/retired from the US Navy

Inside a museum of sorts which tells of the events on both sides - US and Japan - that led up to the attack on Pearl Harbor and beginning of the Pacific theater of WWII




USS Arizona Memorial

From a distance, USS Missouri next to the USS Arizona Memorial

USS Arizona Memorial marks where more than 1700 men were killed when the ship sank, many of whom are still interred with in her. 

USS Missouri





The names of all the men who died when the Arizona sank. Some of those who were part of her crew, but survived the attack, were later laid to rest here with their fallen comrades.


Coastline of Oahu from the Memorial. The white markers in the water indicate where each of the eight battleships were docked at the time of the attack.

The rain persisted on and off all day, so by the time I returned to the base my pant legs and suede boots were positively sopping. I bought dry shoes at the PX, retrieved my luggage from the gym, and returned to the terminal with plenty of time before the next showtime at about 11:30 pm local time. I fell asleep reading in a small club chair in the tiny USO lounge until they closed at 9:00. Although I have only seen 3 AMC (Air Mobility Command) Terminals, I must brag on Kadena as the best so far. Their wifi worked even at 2:00 AM (unlike Guam), the USO lounge was large with big lazy-boy style chairs and love-seats, there are showers on site, and a drove of taxi cabs right outside the door just waiting for passengers. I do love Okinawa!

11:30 PM March 2nd, Hawaii

We board for the last leg of the Space A journey and endure a bumpy, cold 5 hour flight to Travis AB in California. The seat belt sign was on for most of the trip due to turbulance. For the 45 minutes or so it was off, I did bed down on the floor for the a quick nap and to have all of me covered at once with the small wool blanket. The meal was especially grand this time though - my lunch meat sandwich had 8 slices of ham on it! 

7:30 AM March 3rd, Travis AB, California

In California it took me a while just to get my bearings. The infosheet provided numbers for taxis, and the greyhound bus. I found I could take two cabs and bus to the San Francisco airport, or one cab for a little more money and a little less headache. Then I finally started looking for plane tickets. It was near 9:00 by this point, and I discovered nearly all flights to Cedar Rapids left around 11:00 am. There was no way to get to the airport in time. A fellow Space-Aer, also heading to San Francisco, suggested a hotel for the night and sharing a cab in the morning. I must admit that was the first the idea of a hotel crossed my mind - A real bed? and a shower? What an thought! Without much convincing, we were lodged at the on-base hotel. I showered and took a hardy nap before joining her for dinner at the PX food court. I made arrangements for the taxi to collect us in the morning, laundered all my clothes (they smelled badly of suitcase by this point), put the soggy boots in the dryer for a while, and went to bed for a solid night's rest.

9:00 AM March 4th, California

I woke very refreshed, ate some of my stowed food for breakfast, and took off in the cab at 7:30 AM for the drive to San Francisco airport. Our driver was very enjoyable, capable driver and tour guide. He pointed out landmarks and points of interest along the route. San Francisco is a very large place! Nice to be a passenger through - I would never want to try to navigate it. Just further confirmation I am not made for city life! I parted ways with my travel companion, her gate was at the other end of the airport, and proceeded through security without issue. I do feel like an old-pro by now. Two hours to wait before the plane is scheduled to depart. The plane was delayed, and finally began boarding at about 12:00.

Driving through the hills of California on the way to San Francisco - such vast expanses, pastures and great hills seem foreign.

First glimpse of San Francisco Bay area

The Bay, and Six Flags to the left

The Golden Gate Bridge - we didn't cross it, but we did get a good glimpse.

The infamous Alcatraz

4:00 PM March 4th, Denver, Colorado

The flight from San Francisco to Denver was uneventful but especially cramped. For a pretty average sized person, the 3 inches between my knees and the seat in front of me seemed excessively small. When you buy the cheapest ticket available, you get what you pay for. I finished my reading book and dozed slightly on the 2 hour flight. The plane made up time from the delayed departure and arrived in Denver with fifteen minutes before boarding began for flight from Denver to Cedar Rapids. 

7:20 PM March 4th, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The plane arrived in Cedar Rapids after an hour long flight with no problems. I experienced my first "Air Stairs" - exiting the plane into the cool Iowa Winter air, down the stairs and into the building. Cruel, very cruel. Just inside I was pleasantly surprised and warmed with hugs from my dear baby Liv and Mom, who had come to take me home. Oh how much I missed my girl! We got the luggage loaded up and stopped at Subway before Mom drove to her house, where my car has been stowed all this time. She had put it on the charger, and it started easily. By 10:00 pm Liv, Rusty and I were tucked into bed - my own real bed in my own house with my dearest babies on each side. 

It had been a very long trip, but overall I would deem it a fun experience. I would definitely travel Space A again, though I'm not sure I'd ever use that cheap airline again!

Now, on my second full day in Iowa, I have a head cold. Go figure!

Thank you all for your prayers for safe travels, and for Olivia and me as we endured the new challenge of being apart. They have been greatly appreciated!





No comments:

Post a Comment